This policy covers how Ancestry.com Operations Inc., operating the website Archives.com ("Website", "we", "us", "our") treats personal information that we collect and receive, including information related to your past use of the Website and/or our products or services. Personal information is information about you that is personally identifiable like your name, address, credit or debit card number, email address, or phone number, and that is not otherwise publicly available. This policy does not apply to the practices of companies that we do not own or control or to people that we do not employ or manage.
Information Collection and Use
- In order to facilitate searches and manage our business we collect personal information about you. We collect personal information about you when you voluntarily register with us, when you use the Website and/or our products or services and your browser interacts with us, when you visit the Website pages or the pages of certain of our partners, and when you enter third party personal information to conduct certain searches. We may combine information that we have about you with information we obtain from business partners or other companies, such as data providers and billing companies.
- The personal information we collect about you through these various sources may include, but is not limited to: your name, email address, IP address, address, and search log. Once you register with us and sign in to our services, you are not anonymous to us.
- By submitting your email address on our checkout page you agree that you're opting into our no-cost newsletter. You understand that you will receive messages that are commercial in nature. An opt-out "unsubscribe" link will be provided for your convenience in each message.
- We collect information about your transactions with us and with some of our business partners, such as billing partners, including information about your use of search products and information we offer.
- We automatically receive and record information on our server logs from your browser, including your IP address, our cookie information, search activity, and the pages you request.
- We use the information for the following general purposes: to customize the advertising and content you see, fulfill your requests for products and services, improve our services, contact you, conduct research, publish search data, and provide reporting for internal and external clients.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
We do not rent, sell, or share personal information about you with other people or nonaffiliated companies except to provide products or services you've requested, when we have your permission, or under the following circumstances:
- We provide the information to trusted partners who work on behalf of or with us. These companies may use your personal information to help communicate with you about offers from us and our marketing partners. Examples of these are third party payment processors who expedite payments on our Website and marketing partners, such as our identity theft protection partner.
- We respond to subpoenas, court orders, or legal process, or to establish or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims.
- We believe it is necessary to share information in order to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person, violations of our Terms and Conditions, or as otherwise required by law.
- We may display targeted advertisements based on personal information. Advertisers (including ad serving companies) may assume that people who interact with, view, or click on targeted ads meet the targeting criteria - for example, women ages 18-24 from a particular geographic area.
- We do not provide any personal information to the advertiser when you interact with or view a targeted advertisement. However, by interacting with or viewing an advertisement you are consenting to the possibility that the advertiser will make the assumption that you meet the targeting criteria used to display the advertisement.
- We may set and access our cookies on your computer.
- We allow other companies that show advertisements on some of our pages, to set and access their cookies on your computer. Other companies' use of their cookies is subject to their own privacy policies, not this one. Advertisers or other companies do not have access to our cookies.
- We do not store any personally identifiable information in our cookies.
Your Ability to Edit and Delete Your Account Information and Preferences
- You can edit your Account Information within our members' area by clicking "My Account" and then "Make Changes".
- To exclude yourself from commercial emails sent by us, simply click the "Unsubscribe" link provided in any commercial email message.
- We reserve the right to send you certain communications relating to our service, such as service announcements, administrative messages and customer receipts without offering you the opportunity to opt-out of receiving them.
- Archives.com allows you to suppress your personal information from living person search results displayed on this website. To do this, please submit the opt-out request form. Your request will be processed in 1 to 7 business days.
Confidentiality and Security
- We limit access to personal information about you to employees and contractors who we believe reasonably need to come into contact with that information to provide products or services to you or in order to do their jobs.
- We have physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards that comply with federal regulations to protect personal information about you including 128-bit SSL encryption of all credit and debit card transactions between you and our servers as well as the servers of our partners. All sensitive customer data is protected using dedicated network attached encryption devices with full PCI DSS compliant audit logging. All of our data storage is housed in secure locations allowing access to only authorized personnel who can pass a multi-factor identification process.
We are a participant in the TRUSTe Privacy Seal Program. TRUSTe is an independent organization whose mission is to advance privacy and trust in the networked world. This privacy statement covers the Website www.Archives.com. As this Website wants to demonstrate its commitment to your privacy, it has agreed to disclose its information practices and have its privacy practices monitored for compliance by TRUSTe.
If you have questions or concerns regarding this statement, you should first contact us at [email protected] If you do not receive acknowledgment of your inquiry, or if your inquiry has not been satisfactorily addressed, you should then contact TRUSTe here. TRUSTe will then serve as a liaison with the site to resolve your concerns.
We may update this policy. We will notify you about significant changes in the way we treat personal information by sending a notice to the primary email address specified in your account or by placing a notice on our site.
How You Can Contact Us about Privacy Questions
If you have questions or concerns regarding this policy, you can contact us by emailing [email protected], calling 1-888-896-4442 or writing to us at Archives.com, Attn: Privacy Department, 360 W 4800 N, Provo, UT 84604. Archives.com maintains offices at 360 W 4800 N, Provo, UT 84604.
To Unsubscribe from Email Communications
If you would like to stop receiving newsletters and marketing message emails from Archives.com, please provide us with the email address you would like to unsubscribe by emailing [email protected] or calling 1-888-896-4442. Please note that you may still receive account and billing notices from us, if applicable.
Find records now for free.
Start your free trial today to learn more about your ancestors using our powerful and intuitive search. Cancel any time, no strings attached.