This policy covers how Ancestry Information Operations Unlimited Company, 70 Sir John Rogersons Quay, Dublin 2, Ireland ("Archives, "we", "us", "our"), operating the website www.archives.com/uk ("Website"), treats personal information that we collect and receive, including information related to your use of the Website and/or our products or services.
Ancestry, its Group Companies and service providers in the US and elsewhere, process and share the personal information of users from the European Economic Area subject to the standard model contract clauses approved by the European Commission.
1. Collection of Personal Information
- We collect personal information about you when you purchase a subscription, when you use the Website and/or our products or services and your browser interacts with us, when you visit the Website pages or the pages of certain of our partners, and when you enter third party personal information to conduct certain searches.
- The personal information we collect about you may include, but is not limited to: your name, email address, password, and billing information. Once you register with us and sign in to our services, you are not anonymous to us.
- When you use the Website, we may also collect information that you voluntarily enter, such as personal profile information, names of family members you search for, data you enter into any family trees you create on the Website, and any comments or feedback you submit through the Website.
2. Use of Personal Information
We use personal information for the following purposes:
- To provide you with relevant information, such as appropriate search results, information about content releases and product updates, updates that you have requested through the Website, or to address customer service needs and requests.
- To operate the Website, including customizing the advertising and content you see, fulfilling your requests for products and services, contact or communicate with you, publishing search data, and to fulfill the purposes for which you have provided personal information, such as processing your subscription and verifying your identity. We may also combine information that we have about you with information we obtain from business partners or other companies, such as data providers and billing companies, to help better provide the services to you.
- To verify your identity, so you can, for example, carry out transactions, change account information, or retrieve a forgotten username or password.
- For internal business purposes, including to improve our services, conduct research, and provide reporting for internal and external clients.
- If you access the Website using a mobile device (e.g. your phone or tablet), we may collect mobile device identifiers such as the device type, IP address and the operating system. We use mobile analytics software to allow us to deliver you the Website and better understand the functionality of our Website and services.
- We will maintain procedures consistent with applicable law for individuals to gain access to their collected personal information and, when appropriate, correct or delete their personal information. Users of the Website may update, correct or delete their profiles online. However, please note that where you or we delete content or your account, copies of that information may remain viewable elsewhere to the extent any such copy has been shared with others, was otherwise distributed pursuant to your privacy settings, or was copied or stored by other users, but you will no longer be identified with that content. Additionally, we may retain certain information to prevent identity theft and other misconduct even if deletion has been requested. If you have given third party applications or websites access to your information, they may retain your information to the extent permitted under their terms of service or privacy policies but they will no longer be able to access the information through our platform after you disconnect from them.
3. Sharing and Disclosure of Personal Information
We do not rent, sell, or share personal information about you with third parties except under the following circumstances or with your permission:
- We may have to respond to court orders, or legal process, or to establish or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims.
- We believe it is necessary to share information in order to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person, violations of our Terms and Conditions, or as otherwise required by law.
4. Your Ability to Edit and Delete Your Account Information and Preferences
- You can edit your Account Information within our members' area by clicking "My Account" and then "Make Changes".
- To exclude yourself from commercial emails sent by us, simply click the "Unsubscribe" link provided in any commercial email message. If you would like to stop receiving newsletters, alerts, and/or marketing messages from Archives, please provide us with the email address you would like to unsubscribe by calling 0800 345 7920. Please note that you may still receive account and billing notices from us, if applicable.
- We reserve the right to send you certain communications relating to our service, such as service announcements, administrative messages and customer receipts without offering you the opportunity to opt-out of receiving them.
5. Confidentiality and Security
- We have physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards that comply with relevant regulations to protect personal information about you including 128-bit SSL encryption of all credit and debit card transactions between you and our servers as well as the servers of our partners. All customer payment data is protected using dedicated network attached encryption devices with full PCI DSS compliant audit logging. All of our data storage is housed in secure locations allowing access to only authorized personnel who can pass a multi-factor identification process.
6. Non-Personal Information and Cookies
7. About Our Advertisements
- We strive to show you relevant advertisements both on our Website and elsewhere on the Internet. We use some third parties to show you Archives-related advertisements that are tailored to you based upon your interests or online behaviors. We do not provide any personal information to the advertiser when you interact with or view a targeted advertisement. However, by interacting with or viewing an advertisement you are consenting to the possibility that the advertiser will make the assumption that you meet the targeting criteria used to display the advertisement for example, women ages 18-24 from a particular geographic area.
- Any such targeted ads placed on our behalf will contain information on or near them that informs you about the third party delivering you the ads and how to opt-out of receiving such ads in the future. If you wish to not have your information used for the purpose of serving you targeted ads from us and our TRUSTe-compliant partners, you may opt-out by clicking here and here (you must do both to opt-out).
- Please note that the above links do not opt you out of being served advertising. Because occasionally the Website may be partially advertiser supported, you may not "turn off" the advertising that appears on the Website pages. You will continue to receive generic ads that may not be as relevant to you. If you are concerned about other interest-based ads you are receiving on other websites, you may want to visit http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/ or http://www.aboutads.info/choices/ for additional opt-out information. Also, please note that if you delete, block or otherwise restrict cookies, or if you use a different computer or Internet browser, you may need to renew your opt-out choice.
9. How You Can Contact Us About Privacy Questions
If you have questions or concerns regarding this policy, you can contact us by calling 0800 345 7920 or writing to us at Archives, Attn: Privacy Department, 70 Sir John Rogerson's Quay, Dublin 2, Ireland. Official correspondence must be sent via postal mail to Ancestry Information Unlimited Operations Company, 70 Sir John Rogerson's Quay, Dublin 2, Ireland.